Center for Human Tissues & Organs Degeneration
|Orthopaedic Biomechanics, design, development and evaluation of implant and devices. |
Development, evaluation, and clinical trials of biomaterials.
Micro and Nano biomechanics.
Bioengineering for clinical applications.
Present and Past Positions
|Ph.D. BioEngineering, 1995 Faculty of Applied Health Science, University of Waterloo, Ont. Canada |
M.Sc. Biomechanics, 1987. National Research Institute of Sports Science, Beijing. PR China.
B.Sc. Biomechanics, 1982. Faculty of life Science, Beijing University of Phy. Education (Joint program with Dept Mechanical Engineering, Tsinghua University)
|Present and Past Positions|
|Dec. 2011- Present |
Chief Scientist, SIAT, Chinese Academy of Sciences, PRC.
Professor, Dept of Orthopaedics & Traumatology, HKU
Dce. 1999 – Present
Honorary Professor, Faculty of Engineering HKU
Jan. 2001- June 2009
Associate Professor, Dept of Orthopaedics & Traumatology, HKU
Jan. 1998- Dec. 2000
Assistant Professor, Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery, HKU
Jan. 1995- Dec. 1997
Scientific Officer (lecture grade) Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery, HKU
Jan. 1991-Nov. 1994
Senior Research Assistant, University of Waterloo
Developing the ATD dummy neck and the human cervical spine models for investigation of the cervical spine trauma.Grant Provided by the Rick Hansen Man-In-Motion Legacy
|1. Sun T, Leung F, Lu WW*. miR-9-5p, miR-675-5p and miR-138-5p Damages the Strontium and LRP5-Mediated Skeletal Cell Proliferation, Differentiation, and Adhesion. Int J Mol Sci. 2016. |
2. Bian Q, Jain A, Xu X, Kebaish K, Crane JL, Zhang Z, Wan M, Ma L, Riley LH, Sponseller PD, Guo XE, Lu WW, Wang Y, Cao X.. Excessive Activation of TGFβ by Spinal Instability Causes Vertebral Endplate Sclerosis. Sci Rep. 2016.
3. Zhao W, Wang T, Luo Q, Chen Y, Leung VY, Shah MF, Pan H, Chiu K, Cao X, Lu WW*. Cartilage degeneration and excessive subchondral bone formation in spontaneous osteoarthritis involves altered TGF-β signaling. J Orthop Res. 2016.
4. Wang L, Zhang L, Pan H, Peng S, Zhao X, Lu WW* . Abnormal subchondral bone microstructure following steroid administration is involved in the early pathogenesis of steroid-induced osteonecrosis. Osteoporos Int. 2016.
5. Liu XL, Rao NJ, Huo L, Hu X, Lu WW, Zheng LW. The influence of locally applied granulocyte-colony stimulating factor on osteoporotic bone. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2016.
6. Huang YC, Xiao J, Lu WW, Leung VY, Hu Y, Luk KD. Lumbar intervertebral disc allograft transplantation: long-term mobility and impact on the adjacent segments. Eur Spine J. 2016.
7. Chen Y, Huang YC, Lu WW*. Low-dose versus high-dose fish oil for pain reduction and function improvement in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2016.
8. Liu XL, Hu X, Cai WX, Lu WW, Zheng LW. Effect of Granulocyte-Colony Stimulating Factor on Endothelial Cells and Osteoblasts. Biomed Res Int. 2016.
9. Li CL, Lu WW, Seneviratne CJ, Leung WK, Zwahlen RA, Zheng LW Role of periodontal disease in bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws in ovariectomized rats. Li CL, et al. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2016.
10. Liu W, Wang T, Yang C, Darvell BW, Wu J, Lin K, Chang J, Pan H, Lu WW*. Alkaline biodegradable implants for osteoporotic bone defects--importance of microenvironment pH. Osteoporos Int. 2015. PMID: 26134681
11. Wu S, Huang Z, Yue J, Liu D, Wang T, Ezanno P, Ruan C1, Zhao X, Lu WW, Pan H.The efficient hemostatic effect of Antarctic krill chitosan is related to its hydration property. Carbohydr Polym. 2015.
12. Chen Y, Wang T, Guan M, Zhao W, Leung FK, Pan H, Cao X, Guo XE, Lu WW*. Bone turnover and articular cartilage differences localized to subchondral cysts in knees with advanced osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2015. Aug.1 S1063--4584(15)01255-8.
13. Li CL, Seneviratne CJ, Huo L, Lu WW, Zheng LW Impact of Actinomyces naeslundii on bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws in ovariectomized rats with periodontitis. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2015.
14. Chen Y, Huang YC, Lu WW*. (letter to editor)
15. Is subchondral bone mineral density associated with nocturnal pain in knee osteoarthritis patients? Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2015.
16. Yue J, Wu J, Liu D, Zhao X, Lu WW*. BMP2 gene delivery to bone mesenchymal stem cell by chitosan-g-PEI nonviral vector. Yue J, et al. Nanoscale Res Lett. 2015.
17. Kuang GM, Yau WP, Wu J, Yeung KW, Pan H, Lam WM, Lu WW, Chiu KY. Strontium exerts dual effects on calcium phosphate cement: Accelerating the degradation and enhancing the osteoconductivity both in vitro and in vivo. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2015.
18. Liu XL, Li CL, Lu WW, Cai WX, Zheng LW.
19. Skeletal site-specific response to ovariectomy in a rat model: change in bone density and microarchitecture. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2015.
20. Kuang GM, Yau WP, Lu WW, Chiu KY. Local application of strontium in a calcium phosphate cement system accelerates healing of soft tissue tendon grafts in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: experiment using a rabbit model. Am J Sports Med. 2014 Dec;42(12):2996-3002.
21. Cheung KM, Lam JW, Samartzis D, Lu WW, Luk KD. The use of a modified fulcrum for fulcrum bending radiographs: a technical note. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2014 Aug;22(2):248-51.
22. Li CL, Liu XL, Cai WX, Lu WW, Zwahlen RA, Zheng LW. Effect of ovariectomy on stimulating intracortical remodeling in rats. Biomed Res Int. 2014; 10.1155.
|1. US & International (including Canada, China, European patents) Patent. (No. 6,593,394 issued 17 July 2003)) Li YW, Lu WW , Cheung KMC, Luk KDK and Leong JCY: Bioactive and Osteoporotic Bone Cement. Issued on July 2003. |
2. US Non-Provisional Patent (No. 6,613,051 B1) & European Patent (no. 1101448, issued on 25 April 2007). Luk KDK, Lu WW and Lu DS: Anterior Transpedicular system and method for maintaining a vertebral column. Issued on September, 2003.
3. US Non-Provisional Patent (No.10/648,158)KMC CHEUNG, KWK YEUNG, JCY CHUNG WW Lu. Device for Gradual Correction of Spinal Deformities. Filed on 25 Aug. 2003.
4. European Non-Provisional Patent (No. 03792100.4).KMC Cheung, KWK Yeung, WW Lu, CY Chung. Device for gradual correction of spinal deformities. Filed: August 25, 2003.
5. Chinese Non-Provisional Patent (No. 03824606.6).KMC Cheung, KWK Yeung, WW Lu, CY Chung. Device for gradual correction of spinal deformities. Filed: August 25, 2003.
6. U.S. Provisional Patent (No. 60/464,083). KWK Yeung, KMC Cheung, JCY Chung, WW Lu. Superelastic or Pseudoelastic Nickel Titanium Alloy for Use as Medical Implant by Setting the AF Transition Temperature below Body Temperature.. Filed: April 18, 2003.
7. U.S. Provisional Patent (IP00113) Poon T.L., Yeung K.W.K., Lu W.W., Cheung K.M.C. and Chow S.P. Intramedullary nailing system using superelasticity and shape memory effect of nickel titanium alloy for long-bone fracture fixation, filed April 18, 2003.
8. US Provisional Patent (No.60/471,348) Lu, WW,KDK Luk, Leong JCY and SP Chow. filed on 19 May 2004. Bone Screw for Bone fixation and Material Delivery.
9. US non-provisional patent no. 10.827,665. Cheung K.M.C., Yeung K.W.K., Chung J.C.Y. and Lu W.W. Shape memory material and method of making the same (heat treatment protocol). Filed April 19, 2004.
10. US Non-Provisional Patent (No. 10/827,665)KWK Yeung, KMC Cheung, JCY Chung, WW Lu. Superelastic or Pseudoelastic Nickel Titanium Alloy for Use as Medical Implant by Setting the AF Transition Temperature below Body Temperature.. Filed: April 19, 2004.
11. U.S. Non-Provisional application No. 10/827,664. Cheung K.M.C., Yeung K.W.K., Poon T.L., Chow S.P. and Lu W.W. Fixation device. filed 19 April 2004.
12. Chinese Non-provisional Patent (No. 03824606.6). Cheung K.M.C., Yeung K.W.K., Chung J.C.Y. and Lu W.W. Device for correcting spinal deformities, Filed: 16 November, 2005.
13. US Non-Provisional Patent (No. 11/331264).Yeung K.W.K., Chu P.K., Poon R.W.Y., Lu W.W. and Cheung K.M.C.: Surface treated shape memory materials by the use of plasma immersion ion implantation and deposition or related ion-beam and plasma-based techniques for biomedical applications, Filed on January 11, 2006.
14. Japan Non-Provisional Patent No. 2006-523770 Cheung K.M.C., Yeung K.W.K., Chung J.C.Y. and Lu W.W.. Shape memory material and method of making the same, filed October 19, 2006.
15. US Non-Provisional Patent application No. 12/143,076. W W Lu, Zhaoyang Li, WM Lam , KDK Luk. Nano And Micro Strontium Fortified Calcium Compound For Implant Coating & Treatment Of Osteoporosis & Bone Diseases. Filed on June 2008.
|1. 2016 Fellow of International Orthopaedic Research (FIOR). Nov. 2016 |
2. Young Investigator Travel Grant,(Award to my Ph.D student Dr. Chen Y) for oral presentation of “Subchondral Bone in Human Osteoarthritic Knees Is Characterized By Trabecular Rod Loss and Trabecular Plate Stiffening”in American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) Annual Conference, Seattle, USA, 2015
3. The Sicot Meeting Award For Best Clinical Paper Presentation, The Combined 33rd Sicot & 17th Paoa Orthopaedic World Conference, 2013.
4. Travel Award, the 2012 OARSI World Congress on Osteoarthritis, 2012.
5. Best Basic Science Award, Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association Annual Congress 2012 & 2015
6. Web Jee Travel Award; 2008 International Conference on Osteoporosis and Bone Research, October 22-25, Beijing, China.
7. U21 Fellowship, 2008, Universitas 21 international network.
8. The Second Oral Presentation Prize, The International Society of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, SICOT 2008 XXIV triennial world congress, Hong Kong.
9. Best Poster Award; 2008 International Conference on Osteoporosis and Bone Research, October 22-25, Beijing, China.
10. Best Paper Award: “Nano Biomechanics of Type II Collagens in Human Intervertebral discs"Int’l Conference on Biomedical Engineering, BME 2006. Hong Kong
11. Finalist for Hibbs Basic Science Award selected by International Scoliosis Research Society in the Annual Meeting 2005 of Scoliosis Research Society. Title of the paper: A Novel ‘Smart’ Spinal Implant Locking Mechanism Based On Nickel-Titanium Alloy, 2005.
12. Young Investigator Award Winner, Spine: An International Journal for the Study of the Spine . 2004; Spinal Flexibility Increase After Chymopapain Injection Is Dose Dependent: A Possible Alternative to Anterior Release in Scoliosis.
13. Best Paper For Associate Member Award. Invention of a New Spinal Implant for Gradual Scoliosis Correction. 23nd Anuual Congress of the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association. November 2003.
14. Orthopaedic Best Basic Science Award:Delivery of bone morphogenetic proteins 2 and 4 by use of adeno-associated viral gene therapy. The 23rd Annual Congress of the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association. November 2003.
15. Moe Basic Science award: 38th annual meeting of the Scoliosis Research Society : A novel Sr-HA bioactive bone cement for vertebroplasty., Quebec City, Canada. 10-13 September 2003.
16. Best Oral presentation Award: “Novel bioactive bone cement for Spinal surgery” Second SICOT/SIROT International Annual Conference. Cairo, Egypt. September 10-13. 2003.
17. Orthopaedic Best Basic Science Award, The 4th Hip Section Meeting of the Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association and 22nd Anuual Congress of the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association. November 2002.
18. Best Student Projects Competition – Certificate of Merit. The Int’l Conference on Biomedical Engineering, Hong Kong. 2002.
19. Bai Yu Lan Young Outstanding Visiting Scholar Award, Shanghai Science and Technology Committee, 2001. Shanghai, China.
20. Best Associate Member Award, Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association. 21st Annual Congress of the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association, 2001.
21. Best Paper Presentation, The 19th Anuual Congress of the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association. 1999.
22. Orthopaedic Best Basic Science Paper Award, The 18th Anuual Congress of the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association. 1998.
23. Best Paper Award, The 17th Anuual Congress of the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association. 1997.
24. Distinguished Graduate Award, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, 1994.
|Phone||Tel: (852) 2819 9595; Fax: (852) 2818 5210|