Ph.D, Associate Prof., Group leader of Biomaterials and Surface Engineering Research Unit
Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, CAS
1068 Xueyuan Avenue, Shenzhen University Town, Shenzhen, P.R.China
Mobile: +86 18665318146
Birth Date: Apr. 29, 1982; NATIONALITY: China
I have been working on the surface modification of metallic biomaterials and bioceramics for more than 10 years, with a strong background knowledge of material science, biomedical engineering, ceramic processing and surface techniques etc. So far, I have published 28 peer-reviewed articles in high-quality journals, having a h-index of 16, e.g. Biomaterials, Journal of Material Chemistry, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces; Acta Biomaterialia etc. and have one book chapter published by the Woodhead Publishing. Some of my work was cited by top journal articles, including Nature Materials and PNAS etc. I have given two invited talks in international conferences, was the leading guest editor for one of the special issues of BioMed Research International and now a overseas board of International Alliance for Design and Application in Tissue Engineering (ADATE), committee member of Australian & New Zealand Orthopaedic Research Society, member of Youth Committee of Metal Material Branch in Chinese Biomaterials Society.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
l Surface modification of biomedical implants and scaffolds for tissue regeneration.
l Inorganic biomaterial synthesis and ceramics (dense or highly porous) fabrication.
l Nanofunctionalization of bioceramic and biomedical metals.
l Nanoparticles synthesis and interaction of nanoparticles with proteins and cells.
l Development of new orthopedic implant coatings/films.
l Surface modification of dental implants.
l Development of bioactive ceramic materials and refinement of their surface structure/chemical properties.
Working on the characterization of nanomaterials and their interaction with proteins, cells and animals to test the nanotoxicity and their translocation, as well as developing novel monolayer or LBL films to improve the surface properties of implants for hard-tissue engineering applications.
l Nanoparticles synthesis and characterization.
l Biological tests: toxicity, interaction of nanoparticles with proteins and cellular uptake studies using Flowcytometry, Raman spectroscopy and TEM.
l Supervising PhD students in developing and researching monolayer and LBL films for hard-tissue engineering.
l Materials design, coating/scaffolds fabrication and characterization;
l Biological test on materials to evaluate the biocompatibility and bioactivity of the developed materials;
l Co-supervising PhD students and honor students in bone cement and surface modification of the alloys
l Developing cooperation with China research institute and hospitals
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE 07/2009-10/2009
l Supervising new master and PhD students in basic experiments, such as cell culture, material synthesis.
· Book chapter
G.C. Wang, Z.F. Lu, and H. Zreiqat. Ceramics for skeletal bone regeneration. In: Bone Substitute Biomaterials. K. Mallick (Ed.) Woodhead Publishing (08/2014, ISBN: 978-0-85709-497-1)
· Invited review paper
1. G.C. Wang, H. Zreiqat. Functional coatings or films for hard-tissue applications. Materials 2010, 3, 3994-4050.
2. G.C. Wang*，S. Moya, Z.F. Lu, D. Gregurec, H. Zreiqat*. Enhancing orthopedic implant biocompatibility: refining the nanotopography, 2015, Nanomedicine, 10(8), 1327-1341.
· Peer-reviewed research paper
1. Danijela Gregurec, Guocheng Wang, Ricardo Pires, Marija Kosutic, Tanja Ludetke, Mihaela Delcea, Sergio Enrique Moya, Bio-inspired titanium coatings: Self-assembly of collagen-alginate films for enhanced osseointegration. 2016, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 4(11): 1978-1986. (IF: 4.872)
2. G.C. Wang，X.B. Zhao, M. Moller, S.E. Moya. Interfacial Reaction-Driven Formation of Silica Carbonate Biomorphs with Subcellular Topographical Features and Their Biological Activity. ACS Applied Materials & Interface. 2015, 7:23412-23417. (IF: 7.145)
3. B.E. Li, Y. Li, Y. Min, J.Z. Hao, C.Y. Liang, H.P. Li*, G.C. Wang*, S.M. Liu and H.S. Wang, Synergistic effects of hierarchical hybrid micro/nanostructures on the biological properties of Ti-based orthopaedic implants, 2015, RSC Advances, 5, 49552-49558. (*Corresponding author ) (IF: 3.840).
4. H. Pu, Y.R. Niu, C. Hu, G.C. Wang，H. Li, Y. Zeng, X.B. Zheng, Albation of vacuum plasma sprayed TaC-based composite coating, Ceramics International, 2015, 41 (9), 11387-11395. (IF: 2.758)
5. L. Yate, L.E. Coy, D. Gregurec, W. Aperador, S.E. Moya, G.C. Wang*, Nb-C nanocomposite films with enhanced biocompatibility and mechanical properties for hard-tissue implant applications, ACS Applied Materials & Interface 2015, 7(11), 6351-6358. *corresponding author (IF: 7.145)
6. X.B. Zhao, G.C Wang*, H. Zheng, Z.F. Lu, X.B. Cheng, H. Zreiqat*. Refining nanotopographical features on bone implant surfaces by altering surface chemical compositions. RSC Advances, 2014, 4, 54226-54234 (*Corresponding author) (IF: 3.289)
7. G.C. Wang, Z.F. Lu, X.B. Zhao, A. Kondyurin and H. Zreiqat. Ordered HAp nanoarchitecture formed on HAp/TCP bioceramics by ‘nanocarving’ and mineralization deposition and its potential use for guiding cell behavior. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2013, 1: 2455-2462. (Featured on outside front cover of the journal) (IF: 4.872)
8. W.J. Zhang, G.C. Wang, Y. Liu, X.B. Zhao, D.H. Zou, C. Zhu, Y.Q. Jin, Q.F. Huang, J. Sun, X.Y. Liu, X.Q. Jiang, H. Zreiqat, The synergistic effect of hierarchical micro/nano-topography and bioactive ions for enhanced osseointegration. Biomaterials, 2013, 34: 3184-3195. (Co-first author with W.J. Zhang) (IF: 8.387)
9. X.B. Zhao, G.C. Wang*, H. Zheng, Z.F. Lu, X. Zhong, X.B. Cheng, H. Zreiqat. Delicate refinement of surface nanotopography by adjusting TiO2 coating chemical composition for enhanced interfacial biocompatibility. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2013, 5(16): 8203–8209 (*Corresponding author) (IF: 7.145)
10. Z.F. Lu, G.C. Wang, S.I. Roohani-Esfahani, C. Dunstan, H. Zreiqat. Baghdadite Ceramics Modulate the Crosstalk between Human Adipose Stem Cells and Osteoblasts for Bone Regeneration. Tissue Engineering A, 2013, 14 doi:10.1089/ten.TEA.2013.0470. (IF: 3.892)
11. Z.F. Lu, G.C. Wang, C.R. Dunstan, Y.J. Chen, W.Y.R. Lu, B. Davies, H. Zreiqat. Activation and promotion of adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells by tumour necrosis factor-alpha preconditioning for bone tissue engineering. Journal of Cellular Physiology. 2013: 228(8): 1737-1744. (IF: 4.155)
12. K.Y. Xie, Y. Wang, Y. Zhao, L. Chang, G.C. Wang, Z. Chen, Y. Cao, X. Liao etc. Nanocrystalline β-Ti alloy with High Hardness, Low Young’s Modulus and Excellent in vitro Biocompatibility for Biomedical Applications. Materials Science and Engineering C, 2013, 33(6):3530-3536. (IF: 3.420)
13. G.C. Wang, Z.F. Lu, K. Xie, W. Lu, S.I. Roohani-Esfahani, A. Kondyurin and H. Zreiqat. Facile method to in-situ formation of hydroxyapatite single crystal architecture for enhanced osteoblast adhesion. Journal of Materials Chemistry. 2012, 22 (36), 19081-19087. (IF: 6.626)
14. Z.F. Lu, G.C. Wang, C. Dunstan, H. Zreiqat. Short-term Exposure to Tumour Necrosis Factor-alpha Enables Human Osteoblasts to Direct Adipose Tissue-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells into Osteogenic Differentiation. Stem Cells and Development. 2012, 21(13): 2420-2429. (This article was highlighted in Mesenchymal Cells News 4.05) (IF: 3.777)
15. G.C. Wang, Z.F. Lu, H. Zreiqat. Porous scaffolds with tailored reactivity modulate in-vitro osteoblast responses. Materials Science and Engineering C, 2012, 32(7): 1818-1826. (IF: 3.420)
16. Z.F. Lu, S.I. Roohani-Esfahani, G.C. Wang, H. Zreiqat. Bone biomimetic microenvironment induces osteogenic differentiation of adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Nanomedicine, 2012, 8(4): 507-515. (IF: 5.671)
17. G.C. Wang, Z.F. Lu, X.Y. Liu, X.M. Zhou, C.X. Ding, H. Zreiqat, Nanostructured glass-ceramic coatings for orthopaedic applications. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 2011, 8(61): 1192-1203. (IF: 3.818)
18. G.C. Wang, X.Y. Liu, C.X. Ding, H. Zreiqat. Enhanced effects of nano-scale topography on the bioactivity and osteoblast behaviors of micron rough ZrO2 coatings. Colloids and Surface B: Biointerface, 2011, 86 (2): 267-274. (IF: 3.902)
19. G.C. Wang, F.H. Meng, C.X. Ding, P.K. Chu, X.Y. Liu. Microstructure, bioactivity and osteoblast behavior of monoclinic zirconia coating with nanostructured surface. Acta Biomaterialia. 2010, 6(3):990-1000. (IF: 6.008)
20. J.Y. Sun, J.Y. Li, X.Y. Liu, W. Li, G.C. Wang et al. Proliferation and gene expression of osteoblasts cultured in DMEM containing the ionic products of dicalcium silicate coating. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2009, 63(9): 650-657. (IF: 2.326)
21. G.C. Wang, X.Y. Liu, C.X. Ding. In vitro bioactivity and phase stability of plasma-sprayed nanostructured 3Y-TZP coatings. Acta Biomaterialia, 2009, 5(6): 2270-2278. (IF: 6.008)
22. C.T. Wu, Y. Ramaswamy, X.Y. Liu, G.C. Wang, H. Zreiqat. Plasma-sprayed CaTiSiO5 ceramic coating on Ti-6Al-4V with excellent bonding strength, stability and cellular bioactivity. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 2009; 6:159-168. (IF: 3.818)
23. G.C. Wang, X.Y. Liu, C.X. Ding. Phase composition and in-vitro bioactivity of plasma sprayed calcia stabilized zirconia coatings. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2008; 202:5824-5831. (IF: 2.138)
24. J.Y. Sun, L. Wei, X.Y. Liu, J.Y. Li, B.E. Li, G.C. Wang et al. Influences of ionic dissolution products of dicalcium silicate coating on osteoblastic proliferation, differentiation and gene expression. Acta Biomaterialia, 2008, 5(4): 1284-1293. (IF: 6.008)
1. G.C. Wang, Chinese Orthopaedic Society & Australian and New Zealand Orthopaedic Research Society Joint Symposium, 2016, Shenzhen, China (Ordinator)
2. G.C. Wang, Xiaobing Zhao. Bioactive ceramics interfacial intervention and effects on their biological performance, World Biomaterials Congress, 2016.05, Montreal, Canada (Poster)
3. G.C. Wang, Xiaobing Zhao. Refining nanotopographical features on bone implant surfaces by altering surface chemical compositions, the International Thermal Spraying Conference, 2016.10, Shanghai, China (Oral)
4. G.C. Wang. Refining nanotopographical features on bone implant surfaces, 26th GRIBOI, 2016-04, Shenzhen, China (Invited talk)
5. G.C. Wang, Luis Yate, Emerson Coy, Sergio Moya, Haobo Pan, Nobium-Carbon nanocomposite films for orthopaedic implant applications, The AVS Shanghai Thin Film Conference, 2015.10, Shanghai (Invited talk)
6. G.C. Wang, Z.F. Lu, H. Zreiqat. Novel method to in-situ formation of hydroxyapatite single crystal architecture for enhanced bioactivity. 4rd Tissue Engineering Symposium (The SUTEN Symposium). Aug 28-29, 2012, Sydney, Australia. (Presentation)
7. G.C. Wang, Z.F. Lu, K. Xie, W. Lu, S.I. Roohani-Esfahani, A. Kondyurin and H. Zreiqat. Biomimetic single crystal surface Engineering of Bioceramics for enhanced wettability and osteoblast attachment. 9th World Biomaterials Congress. 2012. June 1-5, Chengdu, China (Oral Presentation)
8. G.C. Wang, Z.F. Lu, K. Xie, W. Lu, S.I. Roohani-Esfahani, A. Kondyurin and H. Zreiqat. Biomimetic single crystal surface Engineering of Bioceramics for enhanced wettability and osteoblast attachment. International Forum of Biomedical Materials Nanobiomaterials for Tissue Regeneration, 2012, May 29-31, Hangzhou, China.
9. G.C. Wang, Z.F. Lu, X.Y. Liu, X.M. Zhou, C.X. Ding, H. Zreiqat. Nanostructured glass-ceramic coatings for orthopaedic applications. The Australian and New Zealand Orthopaedic Research Society (ANZORS), 14th-18th Nov. 2010, Melbourne, Australia. (Presentation)
10. G.C. Wang, Z.F. Lu, X.Y. Liu, X.M. Zhou, C.X. Ding, H. Zreiqat. Nanostructured Biomedical Coatings for Orthopaedic Applications. 3rd Tissue Engineering Symposium (The SUTEN Symposium). Nov. 9-11, 2010, Sydney, Australia. (Presentation)
11. G.C. Wang, X.Y. Liu, C.X. Ding. Effects of nanostructured surface on the bioactivity of biomedical coating. 2008 Academic Seminar of Biomaterials in Shanghai Area (Abstract)
12. G.C. Wang, X.Y. Liu, J.H. Gao, C.X. Ding. Microstructure and bioactivity of plasma sprayed nanostructural zirconia coating. MRS International Materials Research Conference (IMRS2008), Chongqing, China, June 9-12, 2008. (Poster)
13. G.C. Wang, X.Y. Liu, C.X. Ding. Bioactivity of plasma sprayed zirconia coating stabilized with different content of calcia. The 8th World Biomaterials Congress. Amsterdam, the Netherlands, May 28- June 1, 2008 (Poster)
14. G.C. Wang, X.Y. Liu, C.X. Ding. Plasma-sprayed calcium oxide stabilized zirconia coatings for biomedical applications. Proceeding of International Thermal Spray Conference & Exposition ITSC, May 14-16, 2007, Beijing, China. P 377-380. (Presentation)
G.C. Wang, X.Y. Liu, C.X. Ding. Fabrication and application of plasma sprayed monoclinic zirconia coating with low temperature stability, Chinese Patent No.: ZL200710046705.7.