The University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) is a higher education institution, mainly focusing on graduate education. Its predecessor, GUCAS (the Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences) was built in 1978 as the first graduate school in China. UCAS accepts international students through 16 UCAS schools and over 100 institutes of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).
In November, 2016, Shenzhen government and UCAS signed an cooperative agreement to build UCAS(Shenzhen) basing on Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Science (hereinafter referred to as “SIAT”).
SIAT offers the visiting student program and exchange student program to international students. International students who would like to undertake research work at SIAT as a visiting student or exchange student may apply to Graduate Students Office. It is recommended that before submitting applications, the applicant should get in touch with his/her prospective supervisor at SIAT and discuss the research plan with the supervisor. International students who are recommended by our partner institutions may apply for the exchange student program, otherwise they should apply for the visiting student program.
The duration of the visiting student program and the exchange student program ranges from 3 months to 2 years. Upon successful completion, a non-degree certificate of advanced study will be awarded to the visiting or exchange student.
All the programs are offered in English.
Visiting students programs commonly last for 2 month to 2 years. A non-degree certificate of study can be awarded if the visiting student successfully completes his study at SIAT. Official transcript could also be provided upon request.
1.1 Field of study
2. Application Guidance
2.1 Qualification of Applicants
(1) Non-Chinese citizens;
(2) Being healthy and willing to abide by Chinese laws and decrees;
(3) Education background requirements:
● Junior Visiting Student: college student
● Regular Visiting Student: holding a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent degree;
● Senior Visiting Student: holding a Master’s degree/Doctoral degree or an equivalent degree;
(4) Language skill requirements:
● For programs taught in Chinese: having passed the new Chinese Proficiency Test (New HSK) Band 5 and scored above 200;
● For programs taught in English: a good command of English.
2.2 Application Documents(Bound and Placed in the Following Order)
(1) ADMISSION APPLICATION FORM FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS WITH A 2-INCH PHOTO AND APPLICANT’S SIGNATURE
Applicants shall fill in and submit the application information via the Online Application System for International Students at UCAS (http://adis.ucas.ac.cn) which would be officially launched around Dec. 15, 2016, and then print the admission application form (Net Version) produced by the system. The previous version of admission application form (Download) can be used but the applicants shall also complete online application procedure. The second part of the application form should be filled in by the applicant’s supervisor and institute/school. The applicant cannot apply to more than one supervisor or institute/school.
(2) CERTIFICATE OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT OR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM
For those who a. have already got financial support, please attach the certificate of financial support; b. are applying for scholarship program(s) to UCAS, please attach separate scholarship application form(s); c. are applying to study by self-support, please attach the affidavit of support from guarantors and a bank statement (original document or notarized copy).
(3) PHOTOCOPY OF REGULAR PASSPORT PERSONAL INFORMATION PAGE
Regular passport should have at least 2 years validity.
(4) ORIGINAL NOTARIZED PHOTOCOPY OF THE HIGHEST DEGREE CERTIFICATE
Those who have not graduated yet shall provide original pre-graduation certificates showing their student status and expected graduation time at their current academic institutions.
(5) ORIGINAL TRANSCRIPTS OR ORIGINAL NOTARIZED PHOTOCOPIES OF THE HIGHEST DEGREE’S TRANSCRIPTS
(6) TWO ACADEMIC RECOMMENDATION LETTERS
The referees shall work in the relevant research field with the applicant, and should not be the expected supervisor. The letter must be on the letterhead paper, with the referee’s signature and date, and be sealed.
(7) CV & RESEARCH PROPOSAL
(8) PHOTOCOPIES OF ALL THE TITLE PAGES AND ABSTRACTS OF MAXIMUM 5 REPRESENTATIVE PUBLISHED PAPERS (IF ANY)
Please do not submit the photocopies of unpublished papers.
2.3 Admission Process
(1) Find an Eligible Host Supervisor
Applicant who meets all the eligibility criteria above may contact an eligible supervisor of SIAT and send the hard/soft copy of his application documents to the supervisor. See here for information of supervisors.
(2) Gain Faculty/Institute Approval
Send all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application will be reviewed by the faculty to decide whether to accept the applicant. If to accept, the faculty should complete the comment page of the admission application form and send the stamped application form along with all other application documents to UCAS International Students Office.
2.4 Application Time
Working days all year round.
3. Visa Application and Registration
UCAS will send Admission Notices and Visa Application Forms (JW202/ JW201) to the admitted students.
The admitted student should take his personal passport, Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners as well as other original documents of physical examination to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa). Please keep the original Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW202/ JW201) which are needed for registration and residence permit application. Please do not enter China visa-free or with other types of visas other than X visa.
The admitted student should register at the place indicated in the Admission Notice, and should register on the assigned date. Otherwise, students should apply to UCAS for early or late registration.
●SIAT Scholarship for International Students (1900-9000rmb/month)
The SIAT Scholarship for International Students offers full scholarship for international students to pursue doctoral degrees at UCAS. It provides tuition fee waiver, health insurance, living allowance and on-campus accommodation.
Unit: RMB Yuan/Month
5. Very Important Notes
(1) All the above supporting documentation should be in English or Chinese,or otherwise notarial translations in English or Chinese are required.
(2) A lack of application documents or unsatisfactory documents will not be accepted and none of the documents will be returned regardless of the application status.
6. Contact Information
Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology infor.
Coordinator: Mr. Zhiwei Sun
International Students Office
Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology
1068 Xueyuan Avenue, Shenzhen University Town, Nanshan District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China